Admittedly the men who made this list are loved for their good looks but also their ability to keep their private lives just that (because when one is splayed all over the cover of tabloids not only is he overexposed, but I also have to be reminded that he's with someone else). And in most cases, the characters they currently play weigh heavily as well. Though I am able to tell the difference between fictional characters and the very real male actors who portray them, sometimes I prefer to imagine the reality looks more like what-- or who--'s on screen!
Here is my Top Ten of 2009 (many of which also make the cut for the Top Ten of the Decade):
10. Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman, GLEE) - Let's see...this year this boy has proved he is humble (with a YouTube ode to how much he loves his job), that he loves dogs (with a YouTube clip of spending Christmas teaching his family dog a new trick), he can rock a letterman's jacket and even a ridiculous mohawk, but most importantly that he can sing! He is the bad boy who can whip out a guitar and serenade me anytime!!
9. Christopher Meloni (Detective Elliot Stabler, Law & Order: SVU) - He's almost fifty, and he has spent the last decade on the same show, as the same overzealous cop who seems to only get better with age. He's big and he's gruff, but behind his gentle blue eyes, you know he's just there to protect you, and that makes everything okay.
8. David Ramsey (Anton Briggs, Dexter) - His laid-back soulfulness only adds to his charm. The fact that he can sing is a bonus. But that he didn't turn out to be the shooter at the end of the season means he can swoop back in and be a savior. Even if Deb doesn't deserve him, I (in the audience) certainly do!!
7. Jonathan Waud (Model, Make Me A Supermodel) - The young husband and father was everyone's sentimental favorite model to walk away with the contract from Bravo's fashion reality show, but he was also the most seemingly qualified. Confident in his own skin, his portfolio showcases that he is also more than comfortable in nothing more than a European cut pair of swim trunks. And for that, I must thank RM for making him their spokesman!
6. John Krasinski (Jim Halpert, The Office) - On his own he has the tall, dark, and handsome thing down. He is also goofy with just the right amount the geek chic charm that endears itself rather than annoys. However, all of that coupled with the loving looks he is able to pull out of his back pocket so easily in his primary role is what so easily won me over. Because you can just tell he is drawing on real emotions in those moments and is therefore just as sweet, charming, loving, and lovely in his actual real life. Emily Blunt is a lucky, lucky lady.
5. Ryan Reynolds (X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Adventureland, The Proposal) - He has a baby face on a body of a God. He is a family man who has talked about wanting to adopt. He's snarky and smart and...did I mention the body of a God?
4. David Beckham (L.A. Galaxy) - Sports critics have called him more style than substance. Apparently, he didn't actually take the field (soccer) as much as he maybe should have when he first joined the L.A. team. But ticket sales still increased because fans just want to catch a glimpse of him-- whether he's running and sweating or sitting and posing on a bench. He looks good in cleats; he looks good in suits; he looks good with a faux-hawk or a shaved head; he looks good in tighty-whities on giant billboards (a compliment I very rarely give). Hell, the man even looks good in wax!
3. George Clooney (The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Men Who Stare At Goats, Up In The Air) - He may have some misses with the scripts he picks in his older age, but the salt and pepper definitely make up for it!
1. Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester, Supernatural) - I admit it: much of his appeal comes from the gun-toting, classic rock listening, classic car driving, snarky and slick rugged nomad type he portrays on the CW. In actuality, I think the man is a bit more conservative (and probably less inclined to strap on leather cuffs and coats). But he is just as smart, witty, and attractive nonetheless!