After tonight's episode of Glee, the show will be taking an on-air hiatus until April 2010. The network is calling this new phenomenon a "fall finale," as the future of television scheduling appears to be anything but as we have come to know and love (or loathe) it. But in actuality, the break is probably much welcomed for the cast, who have been going non-stop between rehearsals, shooting, and the whirlwind publicity tour they started over the summer in malls around the country and which seems to have finally dissipated with their "Glee: The Music, Volume 1" CD signing and appearance at last month's Diversity Awards.
I had a chance to chat with Naya Rivera, the often seen but rarely heard (unless she's telling Quinn to back off her man!) member of the Cheer-ios who infiltrated New Directions, last week at a Hollywood holiday party. Here's what she had to say about the lack of holiday episode, the hiatus, and what we may be able to look forward to for the back nine!
Here we are at a holiday party, just weeks away from Christmas, with one episode left of Glee before your seasonal break, and yet no holiday episode!? Why not??
- I know, right? I actually don't know why we didn't do a holiday episode this year, but I would have loved to have done one. You know, we just released an exclusive holiday single, "Last Christmas" [available solely on iTunes] so maybe we'll do something eventually.
There's always next year, right? And speaking of that holiday single, if there was one Christmas song you'd want to be on a Glee special or holiday album, what would it be?
- There are so many great ones! I really like the classics, and I've actually gotten to do some of them recently...[such as on The Daily Ten]-- like "Jingle Bell Rock." That's probably one of my favorites.
Okay speaking of music you like to perform...this is something I've been asking everyone in the cast: if you could pick any song-- any artist, clearance isn't an issue-- on the show, what would it be?
- Oh that is such a hard question! Let me think for a minute. [Pauses] I'd love to do a Michael Jackson episode, and I'd love to sing "Human Nature."
Kevin [Mchale, Artie] keeps mentioning he wants to do Michael Jackson, too. Maybe that'd be a nice duet moment. Although something tells me Santana would rather be singing with Puck. What exactly is going on there? Will we get to see any more of their relationship when the show returns next spring?
- [Laughs] I think it's a little more in her head than anything I'd call a real "relationship." Santana just thinks she can get any guy really. I think she's going to be moving on from Puck soon. And who knows: she may even find herself moving onto another guy from the glee club.
Has this already been written? Can you hint as to whom?
- I haven't seen it in a script yet; I'm just saying I think she needs to move on, and there are quite a few prospects in there that could be explored.